Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembrance Day

Today is Remembrance Day, the anniversary of the signing of the treaty ending World War I, the Great War, the War to End All Wars.

This is the National War Memorial, beside the Parliament Buildings in downtown Ottawa.

A few years ago, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was added to the site, and someone had laid a single red rose there, the day I visited.

This is a time to remember the fallen, and those who caught up the torch, to continue the fight. We owe them more than we can ever pay.


7 comments:

Wynnie said...

Very nice. I've always been a little disapointed that I've never gotten to see the ceramonies at Parlament hill

Jenn Jilks said...

Beautiful shots! I have always been in the classroom/school assemblies on Remembrance Day. Nice to see the photos!

George said...

What a beautiful and poignant tribute for Remembrance Day.

Deb said...

nice post Judy...great photos...

Carletta said...

A beautiful post for this day Judy!
Very somber Unknown Soldier shot.

Tracy said...

Beautiful tribute to the day, Judy! :o)

Roses and Lilacs said...

That is a lovely name, Remembrance Day. We call it differently down here but the sentiment is the same.
Marnie

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I'm a 50 something female set loose on the world with a camera.